Spice cupcakes which are perfectly light and fluffy. They also make a great muffin if you add a cup of walnuts or dried fruit if you'd prefer a more healthy treat.
Apple Spice Cupcakes
1 tsp. vinegar
1 1/4 cups Cake Flour (I use King Arthur's Unbleached Cake Flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add muffin liners to a muffin pan.
- Add vinegar to the soy milk to allow it to curdle.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients excluding the brown sugar: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, corn starch, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add brown sugar and mix well with other dry ingredients.
- Add to the dry ingredients: oil, vanilla, applesauce, and curdled soy or almond milk.
- Mix on low until just combined, making sure to scrape the bowl once.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake in oven for 15 - 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost cupcakes with butterscotch frosting after the cupcakes have cooled completely, then drizzle with pecan butter drizzle icing.
Add sprinkles or a tiny pinch of cinnamon to make your cupcakes more fancy. These embellishments aren't necessary, but who doesn't love extra sprinkles?