Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baking Mixes Easily Made Vegan, Dairy-free and Egg-free



While I love to bake, there are times I just want a quick treat made from a baking mix. Everyone has days where simplicity is a necessity.

Being a stay at home parent, it seems there are always calls for bringing treats places. It is always nice to showcase vegan recipes, but I think it is also important to demonstrate how easily it can be done with a pre-made mix. Not everyone wants to start from scratch. From time to time, I'll post about mixes I've made without the dairy or eggs.

My first one is a brownie recipe. While they aren't low-fat, they are not as fattening without eggs and less oil. My husband is really the expert on brownies, as they are his favorite. What we discovered works well, is reversing the oil and water. For example, with the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate mix calls for 1/3 cup oil and 1/4 cup of water. Whenever we've followed the box, it has ended up a gooey mess. See below for how I exchanged the requested amounts.

1/3 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce (subbing for an egg)

I have a bar pan, so it required a significantly decreased amount of cooking time at 20 minutes. If you are baking in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, it will require baking at the amounts recommended on the box.


1 comment:

  1. who doesn't love brownies! yum! thanks for stopping by my blog...nice to meet you.

    I love connecting with like-mined people too. =)

    Love your blog, looking forward to your posts.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete