Monday, February 25, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake Cake


When my daughter took a shine to Strawberry Shortcake, I did a little happy dance. While the modern changes to Strawberry were really not necessary, nostalgia still floods my mind when I play with her shortcake dolls. 

Each birthday I ask my children what type of cake they want, and I was beyond thrilled when my girl said Strawberry Shortcake.

The cake house was made from three stacked layers of 8 inch rounds using my Strawberry Shortcake cupcake recipe. To support to weight I used cake round flats in between each layer with cake dowels in between them.

My only modification to the recipe was using fluffy vanilla frosting instead of whipped cream between layers, as I was concerned it would only soak into the cake and cake boards between layers. I did add a squirt of vegan whipped cream on top, as it just wouldn't be strawberry shortcake without it. I bought mine at Whole Foods.

Add caption
Fluffy Whipped Vanilla Frosting

1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 tsp. vanilla
4-6 Tbsp. non-dairy milk
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar

Cream together the margarine, vanilla and shortening. Slowly mix in powdered sugar and non-dairy milk, alternating between the two. Add more powdered sugar or soy milk to obtained desired texture. Once mixed well, beat for about ten minutes until frosting is nice and fluffy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment