Whenever I am craving a sweet and don't feel like baking, I always seem to revert to my childhood favorite standby of Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal No-Bake cookies. Growing up my mom made these often. The smell of them, brings me right back to a more simple time.
This is a twist on that homemade classic. They are sweet and substantial, and will tempt you to eat more than you should. I recommend a small batch.
No Bake Chocolate Almond Coconut Cookies
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil (should look like shortening, but not as smooth)
1/4 cup almond milk
1 1/2 heaping Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup almond butter
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tsp. almond extract
- Get out all ingredients and lay out a sheet of wax paper 1 and a half feet long on a pan or counter.
- On the stove, melt the coconut oil on medium-low heat.
- Stir in sugar until it melts into the coconut oil.
- Add almond milk and cocoa powder, then bring to a boil for 90 seconds. Do not start timing until it is at a rolling boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients: almond butter, shredded coconut, almond meal, and extract. Stir until well mixed.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons worth of cookie batter onto the wax paper.
- Allow to cool and set approximately one hour.
*If your cookies do not harden, the cookie batter did not boil long enough. I've thrown mine into the oven on 350 for a 3-5 minutes and it helps them to set.
Makes 10 - 12 cookies depending on the size of each cookie