Sunday, January 29, 2012

Banana Nut Butter Flax Muffins (No added fat)


Like many folks do at the beginning the year, I am trying to focus on healthier foods. While I still like a treat every now and then, I hoped to make one with solely healthy fats.

Before anyone gets all up in arms, I am aware nut butters and flax seeds have fat in them. When I say "no added fat," I mean there is no vegetable oil or margarine.

Bananas offer so much in the way of moisture, I decided to try "Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich Muffins." You could use any nut butter here, but may need to adjust if you are using the non-separating kinds. Sun butter would work for those with allergies.

An important note is the nut/sun butter is a substitute for an oil, therefore it isn't as discernible in the taste. Banana is pretty overpowering. Just wanted you to be forewarned.

I'd like to try adjusting the baking temperature to 375 degrees with a shorter baking time. If you try it out, please share the results. Regardless, the combination I used worked well too.

Banana Flax Nut Butter Muffins


1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 cup natural cane sugar
2 mashed bananas (mine were frozen)
2 Tbsp. ground flax (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup nut butter (I used natural peanut butter)
3/4 cup almond, hemp, soy, or coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with liners or lightly spray with oil.

In a mixing bowl add dry ingredients and mix well. Add in all wet ingredients, and mashed banana. If using a frozen banana, thaw in advance or heat in microwave for 30 seconds to soften them.

Mix on slowest speed until just combined. Fill muffin liners or pan 3/4 full. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown with a toothpick coming out clean.

Allow the muffins to cool 5 minutes and remove from the pan. Once completely cooled, store in am airtight container until ready to serve.


3 comments:

  1. These look fantastic...now I just need to get some bananas, because those NEVER last in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the measurement for the nut butter? It just says 1/2 nut butter. I'm going to do a half a cup and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is 1/2 cup, thanks for passing along. I fixed my typo :-)

    ReplyDelete