Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ridiculously Easy Homemade Two Ingredient Baked Tofu



Our family simply can't get enough baked tofu. It tastes fantastic on salads, on a wrap, or simply as a main dish. Yesterday when I was at Trader Joe's, I noticed something new (to me at least).

My discovery was Soyaki marinade with soy sauce, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds.. I've always wanted to take a stab at homemade tofu, but had been a little lazy about until that moment. Into the cart it went to try at home.

When I explained the idea to my hubby, he warned that I better not waste a whole block of tofu. After trying it, he started to sprout ideas on other types of baked tofu.

Homemade Teriyaki Baked Tofu

1 package of firm tofu (the kind which comes in a plastic tub)
vegan marinade (I used Trader Joe's Soyaki Sauce)

Drain the tofu, and press out the water. Since I don't have a press, I put it between two plates and put a cookbook on top (not too heavy). It sat for a couple minutes, and I drained off the water.

Next I sliced the tofu into four large squares, and then again into rectangles. It should equal eight slices of baked tofu.

In a 9 x 13 glass dish I placed the tofu, and added 1/2 cup marinade. It should be about 1/2 centimeter deep. I covered and left it overnight, flipping it over in the morning.

Lastly, I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, flipping it once after 15 minutes of baking. Serve hot or store refrigerated in container before use.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I make a similar tofu dish with a store bough teriyaki sauce...except right now I don't remember what it's called!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks SO much better than what you can buy in the store! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Ive only ever seen it fried, definitely will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete