Thursday, January 26, 2012

Simple Avocado Sandwich


Before becoming vegan, I had a deep, dark secret. I'd never eaten an avocado. Sad, I know. When my then boyfriend (now spouse) would eat one, I always thought they looked squishy and gross.

Once I finally tasted one, it was ridiculous. I.simply.could.not.get.enough. What followed was my preparing Chunkamole dip more than I care to admit. When we went on our honeymoon, I had my first avocado sandwich. It was pure heaven in my mouth.

When I was pregnant with our first, I probably ate one of these every other day. It wasn't until recently I found out they were rich in omegas. I always take a supplement, but prefer to go to the source, such as flax seed, walnuts or hemp seeds. Sometimes our body just knows what we need.

Avocado Sandwich


1/2 medium sized avocado
3-4 slices of tomato
4-6 slices of onion
2 slices of whole grain bread
spinach or lettuce
Vegenaise or Nayonaise (optional)
1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
pepper to taste
salt to taste

If you prefer a warm sandwich, toast the bread prior to assembling. First spread on vegan mayo and then sprinkle with yeast flakes if desired. Next add a layer of sliced avocados, then tomato, and onions. Sprinkle with pepper and salt to taste. Lastly add any greens you desire. Press gently down onto the sandwich to help it stay together. Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Oh I love avocado...but yes it is a bit squishy :)

    As a side note I have been voting for you at Circle of Moms. I am in the running as well, but I vote for you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this idea! so simple and tasty. I'm craving an avocado sandwich now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! As soon as I get home I am making one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ! Avocado sandwich ! I'd never thought of it ! It looks yummy ! I'll try it soon !

    ReplyDelete