Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Back to School Breakfast: Banana Split Parfait


This is "the big one" for me. My youngest is off to full day Kindergarten, and after seven years of usually having a little one around, I'll be primarily on my own.

Many parents cheer the start of school, but it is always bittersweet for me. I cherish those slow summer days, where we can spend all day at the pool, on a nature walk, at a museum, running through the sprinkler or being lazy at home. Memories are made on those days, pictures and feelings shelved in my head.

I've never cried at the start of school, as my daughter has always been there to hold my hand while the bus pulls away. She would look up, smile at me, and we'd start our day together. Today I'm lucky, as she'll be with me two more mornings, my hand won't be empty. Kindergartners don't start until Thursday. I've no doubt there will be tears this Thursday, and not my daughters.


Enough with the mushy, wistful mommy business, and on to banana split parfaits. Since the start of school is eagerly anticipated with nervous excitement, I like to start it off with something a little special.

There is no fancy recipe for this.

Vegan Banana Split Parfait  (makes two)

1 chopped banana
1 large vanilla coconut yogurt (our favorite is So Delicious)
1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips (Enjoy Life's semi-sweet chips)
coconut whipped cream
1/4 cup peanuts or your favorite nut
1/4 cup sliced strawberries
cherry for the top

In a clear glass start with a layer of strawberries, then yogurt, peanuts, yogurt, banana, yogurt, coconut whipped cream. Then sprinkle with chocolate chips and top with a cherry. Voila, first day of school treat!

2 comments:

  1. These look great, a special breakfast for a special day :) I need to have more parfait around here especially now that spring is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the parfait! What a way to go back to school. I definitely need to consider making myself (and I guess my significant other) one of these bad mamajamas.

    ReplyDelete