Saturday, January 2, 2010

Vegan Cookie Exchange

This year I really wanted to participate in a vegan cookie exchange, so I organized one for the beginning of the month in December. Yeah, yeah, I am really behind posting about it, but was busy during the holiday season.

Here is a picture of the cookies from the exchange. The types of cookies going clockwise are Gingerbread Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies, Magical Coconut Cookie Bars, No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, Snowballs, and Chocolate Chewy Cookies in the center.






It was a lot of fun trying so many delicious cookies and expanding the number of recipes for future use. So far I've already made two of the new recipes. My 14 month old daughter, Evelyn, said cookie for the first time, when asking for more of the Chewy Chocolate Cookies. They were just that good. My husband declared them his new favorite cookie. He loves brownies and they were reminiscent of a chewy, moist brownie.

When I was younger, my grandma always had Keebler Danish Wedding Cookies at her house for me. They were my favorite. Ever since choosing a vegan lifestyle, I've wistfully thought of a vegan version of those cookies. It was a pleasure to try two kinds of this type of cookie through this exchange with the Russian Tea Cakes and Snowballs. The only reason I haven't tried baking them yet, is concern over my self-control once they are made.

The No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal cookies also brought back childhood memories, as my mom made these all the time. I've veganized her recipe, but it was nice to try another take on it. There really is an art to getting them to set right, and these were perfect.

Among all these good cookies were tasty Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies. I've never made shortbread cookies before, but am eager to try out this creative recipe.

Lastly, and I think my new favorite were the Magical Coconut Cookie Bars. Graham crackers, chocolate, coconut, and pecans. These are a few of my favorite sweets, and they were fabulous all together.

I hope to plan another vegan dessert exchange again this year with bars, muffins, and donuts. There is nothing better than sampling so many new vegan goodies - well except not having to bake it all yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment