Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vegan Mofo: Vegan Calzones

After the power was out for 3 1/2 days, we lost a lot of food. Yesterday a trip to the store to stock up was in order. When I saw vegan pre-made dough for only $1.00, I bought two of them as all the things we need to catch up swirled around in my mind. My poor hubby has been shouldering the brunt of the work, as I've been ordered by my doctor to really take it easy. A chance to make life easier on him was a no-brainer.

At first, I was going to make "pigs in a blanket" without the pigs of course, but then the idea of calzones popped into my head. Once that seed was planted, it had to be germinated. Instead of whipping it together really fast, we let the kids help out. They absolutely loved it, which reminded me to get them involved in dinner preparation more often.


I've never made calzones before, and just winged it. They turned out delicious, and we'll definitely be making them again. One thing I did learn was to make sure the crust pinched together is a little thicker next time. It made six large calzones (9" x 4"). My husband and I were circling the last one like hungry vultures, while waiting to see if the kids needed more. We democratically split it.

Items Used for Meal:
1) Pre-made dough ($1.00, Trader Joe's),
2) 1/3 Jar Organic Marinara Sauce ($0.67, Trader Joes)
3) 1/2 block Cheezly ($2.65, Vegan Essentials)
4) Yves Veggie Pepperoni ($2.69, Whole Foods)
5) 1/3 Package of Veggie Sausage ($0.67, Trader Joe's)
6) 1 pint Organic Raspberries, ($3.29, Trader Joe's)
7) 2 Organic Bell Peppers, one red and the other green ($3.18, Super Target)

Total Time Spent Making Meal: 30 minutes, without kids it would have taken about 20 minutes
Total Cost of Meal for Family of Four: $12.15, or a little more than $3.00 per person

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, I haven't had a calzone since 1952! They sound amazing! While reading this, I was wondering which vegan cheese you might have used-- which would obviously make all the difference-- so I was pleased to see that you used Cheezly! I know they must have been delicious. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete