Saturday, October 8, 2011

Crispy Seitan Bites and Rainbow Chard Mushroom Stir Fry


I wish that I could take credit for these, but this meal was completely prepared by my hubby while I baked 5 dozens cupcakes. It was so darn good, I wish there was more left. None of it lasted long.

Since I'm pretty sure most people can handle grapes and rolls, the recipes for the crispy seitan bites and rainbow chard mushroom stir fry is bekow.

Crispy Seitan Bites

1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup  corn meal
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 c water (approx.)
canola oil (1/4-1/3 cup for frying)
1 package (8 oz) seitan

Add the oil to a small pan to a depth of 1/4-1/2" and heat on medium.

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl then whisk in the water, adding more as necessary to make a thick batter.

Cut the seitan into small strips or cubes, then dip in the batter and place in the heated oil. Fry for a few minutes until golden brown, then flip and cook a few more minutes on the other side. Remove the seitan from the oil and dry on a paper towel-lined plate and serve hot.

If  you have any batter left over, slice up some dill pickles and fry them the same way.

Rainbow Chard Mushroom Stir Fry

1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
2 medium onions, diced
8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. oil

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat, then add all ingredients. Cook covered for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft. Remove the cover and cook a few more minutes until most of the liquid has cooked off. Salt to taste and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Do want! This sounds like a great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I would gladly eat this dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to find another vegan family blog. I'll add you to my blog list as soon as I get on there.

    ReplyDelete