Thursday, October 6, 2011

Vegan Black Bean Juicy Lucy



Yep, I dared to bastardize the carnivore version of a juicy lucy. Guess what, it was pretty darn tasty too. The thing is I didn't stop eating meat, dairy, and eggs because it tasted bad. On the contrary, it tastes good, but I refuse to accept all that comes with it for the simple pleasure of my taste buds.

That being said, when I saw an advertisement for a juicy lucy, I knew there needed to be a vegan version of it. Sometimes a thing so wrong, is just oh so right. It wasn't my first foray in re-creating an healthier version of a animal product laden food. Just check out the Vegan Sausage Bacon Tofu Biscuit with Cheese.

Below you'll find a recipe for a much healthier version of the standard juicy lucy without sacrificing the taste.

Vegan Black Bean Juicy Lucy Buger


1 meduim size onion
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 cup carrots
2 cans of black beans drain and rinsed well
1 package of seitan ( I used West Soy 8 oz. pkg)
3 tsp. garlic powder or 5-6 minced cloves of garlic
2 tsp. sage
2 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp. liquid hickory smoke
1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 cup corn meal
1 bag Daiya cheese or package of Cheddar Cheezly

Burger Toppings: 
tomato, onion and lettuce

Preheat oil in skillet while chopping the onion, then add and saute. While that is cooking, chop up the seitan and add it to the pan.

In a food processor add remaining ingredients with the exception of the Daiya cheese and toppings. Run until all the components are mixed and combined well.

Remove onions and seitan and allow it to cool (in the meantime prepare your tomato, lettuce or any other toppings). Add the onions and seitan and process until smooth.

Heat 2-3 Tbsp. of oil in pan to fry up black bean patty. While it is warming up, line a 4 1/2" glass bowl with saran wrap and lightly spray with oil. Add a bottom layer to shape patty, then add 2-3 Tbsp. of Daiya or Cheezly cheese.


Press cheese into patty, then cover with more black bean patty, and press down firmly on the top.


Flip out patty into your hand, and then into the pan.


Here is what a black bean patty looks like after it is flipped out.


Cook until golden on one side, and then flip and repeat on the other one. Don't forget to lightly spray the glass bowl between patties, or then won't flip out as easily. Here is what they look like done:

We also added other condiments like ketchup, vegenaise, mustard, or hot sauce. My hubby puts hot sauce on EVERYTHING! Then voila' 


Don't forget to enter the two Mofo giveaways I've got going now. The first is for a $25 gift certificate at Vegan Essentials (ends Saturday October 8th). The second is for 18 Eli's Earth Bars (2 winners) and a copy of Vegan Lunch Box (1 winner), which ends next Wednesday, October 12th.

9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! we're always hunting for the ultimate veggie burger recipe.. I love that the cheese is "inside". We'll definitely be trying this...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These burgers look awesome! I've never heard of a Juicy Lucy before but your version sounds very tasty indeed. Thanks for the recipe, I'm bookmarking this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I forgot to ask about the size of your seitan package.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I used an 8 oz package of seitan from West Soy. Thanks for pointing it out so I could update it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a Juicy Lucy but day-am woman! That looks amazing.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool idea! I'm always looking for new veggie burger recipes (kind of obsessively, actually), so I'll be bookmarking this for sure! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also never heard of a juicy lucy, but yours looks so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As soon as I saw the Juicy Lucy recipe, I knew you had to be from MN! I had it in my head to try recreating these a while back, but never got ambitious enough. Maybe I'll try it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That being said, when I saw an advertisement for a juicy couture outlet online , I knew there needed to be a vegan version of it. Sometimes a thing so wrong, is just oh so right. It wasn't my first foray in re-creating an healthier version of a animal product laden food.

    ReplyDelete