Thursday, October 13, 2011

Vegan Spaghettios with Veggie Dogs (Gluten free option)



Back in college, my boyfriend (now hubby) and I went on a month long road trip out east. There was a lot of camping, or sleeping in the bed of my truck to keep costs down. One of our easy go to meals was vegan spaghettios. When you are just using a small camping stove for each meal, it is all about simplicity.

Sadly, they no longer make those tasty spaghettios, which is too bad for vegan kiddos everywhere. For that reason, I decided to try making some at home. It is a pretty simple meal, but had the kids asking for seconds.

It would be very simple to make this recipe gluten free, by simply using quinoa or rice pasta. This version is much healthier than what you'd find in a can. It has carrots and nutritional yeast, along with whole wheat pasta.

Vegan Spaghettios


1 large 24 oz. jar of tomato sauce with no salt
1 1/4 cup whole wheat alphabet pasta
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt (optional, only if your tomato sauce is no salt)
1/2 cup pureed carrots or 1 jar of pureed carrot baby food
3-4 veggie dogs sliced into chunks (Soy Boy makes a gluten free veggie dog)

First bring a large sauce pan half full of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package. While the pasta is cooking, heat the tomato sauce with the remaining ingredients (except veggie dog slices) until it just starts to bubble.

Turn down the heat to a simmer. You will need to wisk the sauce intermittently to incorporate all the seasonings. Add veggie dogs a couple minutes before the pasta is cooked. Drain the pasta and mix with sauce. Yum!

5 comments:

  1. I love that you veganized this classic favourite for kids. I have been looking for some comfort food and I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The epitome of comfort food. I love the mofo-tastic pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came across your blog on Google and love it! I have a Cajun blog and a vegetarian/vegan blog. My husband and I became vegan 3 months ago so I love finding new veggie/vegan blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete